Monday, May 16, 2011

Update

Mom's condition continues to deteriorate, but she is being cared for and loved around the clock by myself, Kirk, her flow of friends coming to visit, as well as nurses' aides. Currently, we are trudging through a very uncomfortable issue with mom's catheter, which appears to be blocked. We are awaiting the arrival of the on-call nurse which is (quite literally) painfully slow. We are holding her hand, stroking her forehead, giving her kisses, and trying to make her as comfortable as possible in the meantime.

She spends most of her day either sleeping, laying in bed listening to Kirk or myself read her a book (Harry Potter or Janet Evanovich), watching a movie, or sitting with a visiting friend. She can no longer walk. There are many tears from her throughout the day; a symptom, from what I've read and heard, of the tumor. I can only imagine the deep sadness and confusion that comewith such a terrible illness, and how frustrating it must be for someone as verbal and articulate as mom not to be able to explain to herself or anyone else.

I would like to take this opportunity, my first post in a long while, to express my and Kirk's deepest gratitude, thanks, and love for everyone who has helped mom, and us, through this time. Your kind words sent by email, "snail mail," and phone calls touch us all every day. The visits, flowers, food, gifts, and ongoing emotional support make it impossible for mom, Kirk and myself to forget how surrounded by love mom is. It means everything to know you are here with us.

Please continue to call, visit and send your love and good thoughts this way. Every word and every sentiment is deeply appreciated, and returned to you, even if we have not yet had the time to express it.

For my part: my greatest thanks to you, mom's friends and co-workers; I have hardly had a chance to speak to any of you, as many of us have never met. I will never be able to express my gratitude for the love you give her in these impossibly hard times. You are her family as much as I am; it gives me such pride and comfort to know that she is so wonderful, as I always knew, to have made such truly spectacular and good friends in her life.

-Dani


*As a side note: I deleted a comment from the previous blog because it was inappropriate and inaccurate. I will not tolerate passive aggressiveness toward myself or anyone in this house, especially on a blog that is meant for love and well-wishes for mom. Mom is not invisible, and there is not "only one" keeping her loved ones informed about her state of health - she has a stream of visitors, phone calls and mail all week. All anyone who wishes to see her need do is call and help us find a time that will work best for theirs and mom's routine. Mom's is tricky these days, and her windows of opportunity are few, so sometimes it takes us a few tries. But no one should be shy about calling, writing, or working on setting up a good time for a visit.
Thank you all, truly, for your love, positive thoughts, and support.

6 comments:

  1. Dani, please send my love and hugs to your mother. I worked with her many years ago at Execustaff. I will keep you all in my prayers and hope for the best. She is a brave and strong woman. Love, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed your message and love & hugs on to mom. She was very touched. Thank you so much, Eileen. Please keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane Bevis told me about this very shocking news. May God provide you with all the strength you need. Don't give up and keep fighting.

    Amanuel Berhane
    SMC grad 2004

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kirk,
    I found this website looking for news about Alison. I was devastated to hear the most recent news. I am, though, so happy from reading this blog, that Alison is surrounded by love from family, and friends. I remember early on, when Alison was first diagnosed, how worried she was about Dani. It sounds like Dani is such a mature, intelligent, sensitive person and such a blessing to Allison. She always told me how proud she was of Dani and I can tell why from her blogs. Everything that I have read on the blog in the last week, sounds so much like my husband's experience, and I understand and feel so for you. She is so lucky to have you and Dani, and all her friends. It makes me so mad that a tumor could do this to someone we love so much, and that Alison, in addition would be robbed of a way to to communicate.
    Being on the other side by 20 years, I can tell you, my husband and father of my children, is with me in a very real way everyday. Despite being remarried and functioning without acute grief, it is a very comforting feeling to have him be present in my life always, part of me and my family. I was so worried that he would be "lost" to us, but he continues to be with us and part of our lives in a happy, comforting way.
    If you need anything , please let me know.

    Sincerely,
    Nancy Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to hear how fast Alison is deteriorating. It saddens me so much to know that such a vibrant person as Alison can be knocked down by this.

    Let her know that I miss our breakfast club Friday mornings after work where we would gossip about the latest juicy tidbits and bitch about whatever was bothering us. I also miss that radiant smile and infectious laugh of hers.

    In my heart,

    Judy Kwong

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deirdre Bourke GawoskiMay 30, 2011 at 7:16 PM

    Please tell Alison that Deirdre from work will continue to pray for Alison (and all family, caregivers and friends). Would love to visit just to hold hands or read a book, could even do respite care overnight (us nightshift RNs are usually awake at night even when we are off). Tell her she would be surprised at how different I look after losing all my long brown hair to chemotherapy. It grew back in white and Curly .... Hope Alison finds that funny. Love to you all. I will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete